On May 25, 2020, 46-year-old Black man named George Floyd was killed by a white Minneapolis police officer who pinned him to the ground, kneeling on his neck for seven minutes and 15 seconds, ultimately making it impossible for him to breathe and causing his death. This public lynching is only one in a series of state-sanctioned killings of Black people during late May and early June 2020 that catapulted cities in all 50 states across America into organized resistance.
Solution / Demand
As the Black Vision Collective has outlined, pressure from Black communities has forced the city of Minneapolis to prosecute George Floyd’s murderer and fire all four police officers involved in the case. Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison arrested and charged all officers involved in George Floyd’s death, and brought the charge against Derek Chauvin as felony second-degree murder. The Minneapolis school board voted to terminate its contract with the police department, and the University of Minnesota announced it was scaling back its relationship with Minneapolis Police (including no longer contracting with the police for major sporting events). The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board unanimously voted on a resolution to sever its relationship with the Minneapolis Police Department.
Community groups are still continuing to push for justice. Major demands include:
- The City Council should pledge to be a visionary leader for the city, which means they must #DefundMPD.
- The City Council commits to never again voting to increase police funding or the police department’s budget.
- The City Council cuts $45 million from MPD’s budget as the City responds to projected COVID-19 shortfalls.
- The City Council promises to protect and expand current investment in community-led health and safety strategies, instead of investing in police.
- Sign and share the petition calling to #DefundMPD: bit.ly/DEFUNDMPD
- Black Minnesotans are encouraged to sign the Black MN Love Letter calling for abolition and justice.
- Support and follow the Black Visions Collective, which is fighting for the freedom and safety of Black trans sisters, brothers, and siblings. Lyanna Dior was attacked, and Black Visions Collective is supporting donations. Lyanna’s cash app info is $Najababiie.
- Donate to the Youth Gas Mask Fund by Venmo @Isak-Douah or by Paypal: [email protected]
- Donate to the Floyd Memorial Fund (GoFundMe, the only GoFundMe for the Floyd family)
- Donate your dollars to the Reclaim the Block fund to support underfunded BIPOC-led formations supporting the Minneapolis Uprising. Donate here: http://bit.ly/fundthecommunity
- Support the Minnesota Freedom Fund, which is calling on elected and appointed officials to end cash bail, release those held because of inability to pay, and release all ICE detainees.
- Support the May/June MN Bail Fund and Support List, the North Loop Minneapolis LinkTree, and the MN Healing Justice Network/Spiral Collective
- Educate yourself and your family and community members by checking out the White Accomplices resource guide.